Thursday, April 29, 2010

seis? seis?

Another week is soon comming to an end as our departure date seems to be just around the corner (May 15th). I am certainly not counting down the days, we still have lots to do here. I still have to sew curtains for the girls' room at Joy Filled Homes. I have been procrastinating, as sewing isn't my favorite thing, and wishing that I could pass this one off to Sarah or Sheila! I will, however, get to it sometime in the next week or so......
As you may have read on Facebook, we were informed of an outbreak of headlice at our orphanage and so we did the family head checks; all clear, praise God! Laine and I did 7 haircuts at the orphanage to make it easier for the Nannies to comb through the girls' hair to irradicate the lice. As a preventative measure, I also gave my boys mowhawks, something they have been begging me for. As you may know, a good mowhawk requires gel, and the best gel here is called Gorilla snot! It is gooey and yellow, but thankfully it smells like shampoo!
We are still learning Spanish and occasionally have misunderstandings as a result of our inexperience! When we were comming home late from the volcano hike, we were wet, tired and hungry, so we stopped at Burger King. Planning to get woppers for Steve, Laine and I and a 6pack of Burger Shots with a combo for the kids to share, I placed our order with my broken Spanish. When it rang in, it seemed really high and I had to borrow money from Laine to pay for it, but I didn't clue in that something was odd until they started bringing out the food! Instead of one 6pack, I had ordered 6 6packs of burger shot combos! We quickly decided to bring the food to a family that we know of who lived close by. This family has lost both parents and the oldest brother, who is only 24, is supporting his 10 younger siblings. We made a phone-call and headed over to drop off the burgers, fries and pop. The following week, we found out from a friend of theirs that on that evening, the oldest brother was supposed to be bringing home his paycheck and buying food for the family. There had been no paycheck for him that day and no money to buy food for the family. God had used my lousy Spanish and Laine's generousity to provide dinner for them that day!
God is faithful!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! God is so good! Makes my heart overflow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaahhhhh!!!! So HAPPY!! That was one of my favorite days!! No wonder all the boy could say was "thank-you',"thank-you","thank-you"!!!! GOD IS SOOO GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete