Sunday, January 10, 2010

All of the little monkeys jumping on the bed!

It is easy to think that one should definitely be finished having kids once they've had 5! I thought that once too! After Autumn was born, I felt like I had my hands full. I was so sure, in fact, that I made an appointment for Steve and he went and had the procedure to ensure it.
As the years have gone by, we have both started to feel inclined in the other direction. Of course we already have a substantial family of our own, we feel that maybe we should consider giving a home and a family to one of the many orphans in this world. There are many options to choose from. With our plans to go to Guatemala in the future, we have figured that it is likely that we will fall in love with a child while we are there. We plan to work with children with special needs, so we have even considered adopting a child that may have autism or Down's syndrome.
As God has been cultivating in us this love for more children in our hearts, He has also begun to bring up old passions that He planted there over 3 years ago. I had heard a radio program on Focus on the Family by Dr. James Dobson. He was pleading with North Americans to consider adopting one or more of the hundreds of thousands of "snowflake" babies that are leftover from in vitro fertilization and remain frozen, pending a decision on their existence. These babies have only a few options once their parents are done having kids; they can be discarded, donated to science for stem cell research or adopted out to other families that either cannot have their own children or families who are so inclined to rescue them from one of the other not so glorious fates. My heart was 100% certain, at that time, that someday we would have one or more snowflake babies. Of course, having just given birth to Autumn, I soon forgot all about it!
When God truly places something on your heart, it isn't always the right time, but He knows just when to bring it up again. I believe that God truly cares about these little babies. Though they have not yet formed in their mother's womb, He knows them. He has a plan and a purpose for them. Not to diminish the needs of orphans already in this world, these babies have been conceived yet not given the chance to live. Their alternatives are horrific.
I have done a lot of research on the internet, made phone calls and talked to people whom I look to for insight. There are many positions to take on the subject. One could argue that this is a man made mess that Christians should stay out of. I tend to think that in a fallen world these types of issues abound, and are most definitely situations where Christians should take action. This is not to say that everyone should have snowflake babies, but pray about it, talk about it, let people know; they might be in a position to consider this type of adoption. Because I assure you, science has a passionate interest in these embryos for stem cell research! There is money to be made, and where they do not consider these babies to have any moral value, they are nothing more than lab rats to be grown and experimented on at the discretion of science. "All for a greater good" right?
I will post a few websites, though it is hard to find information in Canada. There is no legislation regarding embryo adoption, as they are considered to be biological material and therefore considered as property of the parents. One adoption agency in B.C. does embryo adoption, but you don't really need an agency at this time. If you find a family with extra embryos through a fertility clinic or someone you know, you can get a lawyer to write up a contract before the embryo is implanted. Upon the birth, everything is the same as having a child of your own.
This issue goes right back to the abortion issue. As long as abortion is legal, these embryos will not have rights either.
I could go on, really, I could! I will leave this out there for now, and if anyone has questions, I'd be more than glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katydid,

    Thanks so much for your article above. It is very helpful especially about the adopting of embryos. Please pray for my husband Reino and I are searching for God's direction for adoption of a baby in embryo stage and or an orphan from Haiti.
    God's Blessings on your journeys.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete