Sunday, January 3, 2010

Woes and blunders

This post may not have any spiritual content, so if that would lower your perception of me, please stop reading now! Just kidding.

Have you ever noticed that some people, like my sister and my brother, seem to effortlessly adorn themselves in completely stylish attire on most every occasion. (They get it from my mother who was a trend setter in her day. somehow I missed that gene.) Special events feature the elegance that actors only hope to duplicate on the red carpet. Random outings showcase the most creative styles accessorized to perfection. Even casual wear is donned with grace and ease. On the other hand, there are people like myself who struggle endlessly over the subject of style. Not that I never look good or even great on occasion. I just don't have the glorious ease of knowing exactly what to wear every time. I don't even have a natural understanding of fashion common sense! At the age of seven, I remember being told by my sister AGAIN that I could not wear my favorite pants with my favorite shirt! "They do not match" she said. Well, of course they match, they are both my favorite! The pants were red with baggy pockets and the shirt had teal and magenta stripes. They made me feel happy even if they did clash! This was just the beginning of my style woes. I tend to be a bit of a cross dresser. What I mean is, I like to put together items that I like, even if the styles contradict each other. Like heram pants with a brightly colored tank top and a shrug and converse sneakers. (It's okay to laugh at this point.) I really do like ethnic boho styles. The culture of it is fascinating and wearing clothes that are so different from current local style is freeing because there is no comparison. There have been times when I am tempted to just wear saris and be done with it all together! One thing is for sure; when I manage to put together an outfit of notable distinction, I sigh in relief. One more day in the fashion jungle. Speaking of the jungle, that reminds me of a scripture verse about how God clothes the lilies in the fields and the birds in the air and how I shouldn't worry about what I have to wear.....but then that would be a spiritual spin and a huge paraphrase.

2 comments:

  1. Well I for one think you can pull of anything and look fantastic! I admire you ability to not be a slave to trends and to carve your own path in the fashion jungle.
    I love you just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto Sarah's comment...I think you always look great, I would love to have the creative eye that you do :) -Kacy

    ReplyDelete